Friday, June 06, 2014

Hunting the Aurora in Abisko, Sweden















Looking for the Aurora Borealis was the primary reason we went to Sweden for, but photographing it was much harder than I expected it to be. We went up to the Aurora Sky station on the first night we arrived in Abisko and took a ski lift up to the station. I managed to enjoy the dancing lights as I ascended up the ski lift in the dark but it wasn't as bright as I expected it to be. On camera though, it was beautiful! Sadly, I was clueless on how to focus accurately in the extreme cold and darkness and my photos turned out to be a sad disappointment. Handling a camera in the dark and having to put on and remove your gloves constantly was such a hassle. It got so cold that the heat packs we placed in our jackets stopped working.

The next 2 nights were better as we followed Lights Over Lapland on their photo tour where they provided cameras, tripods and lots of advice on how to capture the aurora on camera. Sadly, the aurora did not appear on the first night with them but thankfully we caught it on the 2nd night! I definitely want to go back to see it again and stay for a longer period of time (although perhaps when it's not as cold??)

No comments:

valyhly . All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.